Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Laundry Soap Tuesday

Running out of laundry detergent yesterday and having a few loads left to do immediately made me decide that instead of quickly buying our usual $5.00 purchase of detergent, getting '32 loads' as stated on the bottle, I'd purchase the items needed to make our own. Now, I've been reading several recipes regarding types of soap to use, what people like and don't like, whether to grate it large, medium or fine and for our first time we went with the following: (Next time we may online order some all natural, better soap)

A&H Super Washing Soda, 20 Mule Team Borax (All Natural Laundry Booster) and Fels-Naptha laundry soap. 

The recipe I followed was as follows:
1 cup A&H
1 cup Borax
4.5 oz Fels-Naptha soap grated

I also grated it large instead of medium or fine- the debate I've found on blogs is that the large grate of soap may leave residue......So, after washing my first load with it I'm proud to say....
NO residue
GREAT smell- nice and fresh laundry
and CLEAN!! Two thumbs up on the first load!

Cost?
2.98 4lbs of Borax
3.24 3lbs of A&H
.97 1 bar of Fels-Naptha
7.19 total

but my Borax will make 8 batches total and A&H will make 6 batches total, so for the next 6 times I just need to purchase the bar of soap! Per 32 load batch most blogs say it averages depending on your store you purchase from anywhere from 1.60 to 3.00 per batch! Even a few dollars helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment