Saturday, October 27, 2012

Piano Magic

A Love for Music
Our 7 year old has acquired a new love...the piano. He plays often, everyday, several times a day. At times he asks for lessons and I'll sit with him and go over my old piano lesson books, learning the keys and hand placement. Other times he'll hum a tune and tinker with notes himself. Some times he puts his full hands on and other times he'll poke one note at a time. I love his creativity.  His sister has a love for ballet and has gotten him into watching clips of ballets with her...Sleeping Beauty, The Nutcracker, Swan Lake...and just the other day, in the matter of 15 minutes tinkering my amazingly talented 7 yr old son taught himself how to play Swan Lake all by himself as my husband and I made dinner.  Poking the notes, fumbling slightly- but I can hear the song, as he hums and finds the right keys- he is magical as he plays. My husband comments...'he takes after you'.  Never one who really knew the right notes- I read music when I was young but can't read left hand to save my life- if I heard the tune, I could find the keys- both hands right away.  I love that he has the musical ear as well.


One of my fondest childhood memories is hearing my dad play on our home piano the tunes of 'Winnie the Pooh'.  Even now, as an adult, I'll tinker the notes to that song and it takes me to my cherished memory.  I am thankful my parents both brought music into our home as I try to do the same for my own children.

No comments:

Post a Comment