Friday, August 16, 2013

Reflection & Prayers, Life & Death

When my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
*Psalm 61:2*
My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.
*Psalm 119:128*
Let the Peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
*Colossians 3:15*

Yesterday was quite the afternoon as the children and I rushed our 4 day old baby guinea pig to the vets office. He seemed to be getting lethargic, not eating and one eye was not looking well. The vet cleaned his eye, gave him eye antibiotics, clipped his long teeth and gave him a clean bill of health, saying that he would start eating better now and the eye would clear up in 2 weeks. Drops were to be given every 6 hours, continuously for 14 days. He got round one right at bedtime, then I set my alarm and snuck into the kids room to give him round 2. My daughter awoke just as I was pulling him out of the cage and saying 'oh no'. He was not alive...he had passed away. My daughter asked why? Why when we did everything we could, why when we even took him to the doctor, why, why, why...when we've already had heartache from loosing other animals recently. 
Why.
She laid down, we said a prayer, we didn't wake her brother. I told her I loved her. I reminded her every life was important, meaningful no matter how long or how short, animal or human. It teaches us. God always has a plan. She was quiet....she said she was thankful she got to be there for his birth, handle him, care for him, love him.We hugged, she went back to sleep. I stood watching over her for a few minutes, then moved to my son's bed gazing at him, gave him a kiss on his forehead and went to my bedroom.

I wept. I wept for the baby pig, I wept at the thought of telling my son in the morning, I wept for the pain my daughter was feeling. I wept for many other reasons. My heart was very heavy. It felt good to release it. 
I prayed. I felt comforted. I know I am not alone.

This morning I begin my day in prayer as my children still sleep sound that we can be strong, that we can have faith that everything happens for a reason and it is Gods plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment