Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fall is Coming...

Another gorgeous weekend as we head into cooler weather. I am ready for fall and winter..
Something about it getting cooler makes me want to cook and bake. I love fires, jackets, boots and warm comforting meals. Ahhh....

A few things we did this weekend and the last week...

Evening walk at the river with the family- hubbie and I walked the dogs, the kiddo's scootered.
Water is so extremely calming. As my daughter said to me "I could sit here and just watch it for hours". I completely agree.



On our walk at the river- the kids collected wonderful rocks that they want to paint as well as found a birds nest....

I baked a Lemon coffee cake. I'm a coffee fanatic and without any brown sugar in the house (I wanted the Cinnamon one) I decided on Lemon. The home made frosting was delish! And the cake with a few tweaks will be awesome too...great flavor but a little dry and lacking something..

I also received a recipe from my mother for her holiday chile reano casserole. I haven't eaten it in years and have never made it. It was a bit spicy for the children but hubbie and I ate it and the leftovers for lunch for several days in a row! YUMM.
Two kinds of cheese, whole green chilies, tomatoes, olives, onion and a little egg and milk mixture to top it off...bake it and we made beans and spanish rice to go on the side with warm tortillas!

Missing our chickens dearly as I realize just how many eggs we really use!! Breakfast, lunch, dinner- egg salad sandwiches- positive thoughts about the future that we will have laying hens again!

My daughter took on a sewing project of a doll night gown with matching pillow and blanket. She worked on the pillow yesterday and is planning on the blanket today and I'm going to help with the gown.

I've been making a small list of things I'd like to do:

** Can fruit and make jam             (Waiting for a bulk offering of fruit from our co-op)

** Make home made laundry detergent       (Next time I need it I'm going to make it)

** Do NOT buy any more paper towels/napkins- go cloth!       (CHECK) :)


I also found some great recipes I want to try-

Home made mayo

Breakfast Custard

My mother's birthday is today and my dad is visiting next week. The children and myself are missing them dearly. Holiday's and birthday's are difficult being far away. A phone call isn't the same as a hug and a well wish in person. But it will have to do until our Christmas trip which we are all looking forward to!

Positive, uplifting thoughts today. I am so thankful. God has truly blessed our family. I may want more at times, but I have all I need all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment