Sunday, November 27, 2011

Applesauce, Books & the Park

Daddy was out of town, but the kids and I had a fun weekend anyways!

Apples galore have been piling up with our weekly co-op basket. Mostly Gala, Fuji and some Ambrosia.  We have committed to ordering only the organic basket which is a little more expensive- but the quality, taste is SO GREAT!

So before all of those apples went bad, we kept about 10 out for lunches and snacks and took the rest to make applesauce with which the kids have been wanting to do for weeks. So after reading so many 'recipes' I really I suppose didn't realize how simple it could be. A few modifications because unfortunately I don't have any good kitchen appliances like a food processor.

So, first I skinned half the apples and left half the apples with skins, cutting them into pieces. Boiled a pot of water and the kids loaded them in...
Next the kids had fun loading them into my mini-blender (yeah I don't even have a full size one!) adding a little water and blending them up! Then they went back into a pot on the stove for a taste test to see about this adding sugar thing- some recipes said to add cinnamon and sugar but our apples were sweet enough we didn't need sugar. Then after the kids scooped up a bowl full I let them add their own cinnamon to it!

My crazy kids loved it and had fun too with conquering 'simple' applesauce together! 6 small apples and 4 medium sized apples yielded a bit more than the quart jar above.

We also took a trip to the Library- each of us carrying 2 BAGS of books to two different libraries- yeah our family loves to read.
Here's what our 1st grader is reading...
Here's what our 6th grader is reading...
And of course Mommy picked up a couple too..
We also had a trip to the feed store checking out ducks, geese, chickens, rabbits and other small animals.
And a bit of play time at the park to finish our day....and while they played I got a few minutes of quiet reading time in- then I ran around with them too! 


As for Sunday? A little bible study, some cleaning house and a lot of relaxing before Monday hits us!

No comments:

Post a Comment